Essential Awakenings® Smell and Memory Kit, 2nd Edition
Essential Awakenings® Smell and Memory Kit have been designed for families and caregivers to engage seniors living with dementia and Alzheimer's in conversation, storytelling and the recall of memories through the distinguishable smell prompts included in the kits. The Essential Awakenings Second Edition contains 6 essential smells: Apple, Lilac, Vanilla, Lavender, Pine, and Popcorn. Also included in the kit are paper blotter strips for applying the smells and Clue Cards with hints that you can offer during the "guessing game." It is important to note that none of these smells includes alcohol, and they are safe when coming into contact with the skin. As with so many products, please keep them out of the hands of children under the age of 10. Shipping is free of charge within the continental United States.
Contents: Specially prepared smells including Apple, Lilac, Vanilla, Lavender, Pine, and Popcorn; one set of Clue Cards, 100 blotter strips.
A GUIDE FOR USAGE:
- Select a smell of your choice to start.
- Roll the first smell onto the pointed tip of the paper blotter strip.
- Give your loved one or group audience the scented paper blotter strip.
- Ask them to smell and describe what they smell.
- Ask them to vocalize any adjective or descriptor that comes to the top of their mind when they smell.
- Give them clues to help them guess (using clue cards as a tool, or verbalize your own).
- If no descriptor comes to mind, reveal what the smell is, and see if you can open a discussion. In a group setting, it may take one or two tries to get everyone to open up.
- Repeat with remaining scents.